Frequently Asked Questions
- Why am I required to pay to register?
- Where does the money go?
- How long is AIDS Walk Atlanta?
- What is the schedule for the day of the AIDS Walk Atlanta and 5K Run & Music Festival?
- Are pets welcome at the walk?
- Can kids participate?
- What items are allowed / prohibited at the event?
- What COVID safety procedures will be in place at the event?
- Where do I check in at the event?
- To whom should donation checks be made?
- Where do I mail donations?
- What is a matching gift?
- How can I approach my donors about getting a matching gift?
- How do I know if a company will offer a matching gift for a donation?
- How does a donor apply for a matching gift?
- What happens if a mailed donation or matching gift comes in after the fundraising deadline?
Website and Online Fundraising
- I forgot my user name/password. How can I find out what they are?
- How can friends and family find my fundraising page to make a donation?
- Why is the “Donate” search not finding a participant I know is registered?
- How can I see who has donated to me?
- Why aren’t the cash and check donations I’ve raised showing up on my fundraising page?
- All of my donors are not showing up in the scroll mechanism. Why?
- How do I send an email from my Participant Center?
- How do I email my team members?
- How can I keep track of important dates and deadlines?
1. Why am I required to pay to register?
The registration fee helps offset the costs of the event, including the incredible musical performance. This ensures that all fundraising dollars directly support our beneficiaries. If you have additional questions about the registration process, please email info@AIDSWalkAtlanta.org.
2. Where does the money go?
The funds you help us raise go directly towards local HIV and AIDS organizations working hard for our community. The proceeds raised through AIDS Walk Atlanta are a vital lifeline sustaining small programs that make a world of difference. Click here to learn more about this year’s beneficiaries.
3. How long is AIDS Walk Atlanta?
AIDS Walk Atlanta is 5K (3.1 miles) and takes roughly one to two hours to complete.
4. What is the schedule for the day of the event?
The schedule will be posted closer to the time of the event.
5. Are pets welcome at the walk?
No. Animals are NOT allowed in the park where the pre-Walk line-up and post-Walk Music Festival is being held.
6. Can kids participate?
Yes. Children ages 5 and under can attend free of charge. Children ages 6 and above can join as registered participants. Do Not Bring: Strollers, wagons, pets, coolers, picnic baskets.
7. What items are allowed/prohibited at the event?
What to Bring: Face covering, sunblock, sunglasses, ID, comfortable shoes, your fully-charged phone and/or camera, and a credit card for food & drinks
Do Not Bring: Wagons, pets, coolers, large umbrellas or picnic baskets STRICTLY PROHIBITED: Weapons, Glass, Outside Alcohol, Drones
8. What COVID-19 safety procedures will be in place at the event?
We are taking safety very seriously. We have a COVID safety plan in place that has been reviewed and approved by Fulton County and the City of Atlanta, and our ability to hold this event in 2022 and in the future depends upon the cooperation of all participants in following these guidelines.
If you are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19 or may have been exposed to someone with COVID-19, please do not attend the event. Visit the CDC’s website for more information about coronavirus symptoms.
9. Where do I check in at the event?
Specific check-in information will be posted in September.
1. To whom should donation checks be made?
Please make checks payable to “AHF – AIDS Walk Atlanta.” All checks must be accompanied by a personalized donation form with the participant or team’s name and ID number. Company checks must include a contact name, email address, AND/OR mailing address to be processed. If the participant has not provided you with a donation form, you can print one from their personal fundraising page or team page. Just search for their name here.
2. Where do I mail donations?
AHF – AIDS Walk Atlanta
PO BOX 935963, Atlanta, GA 31193-5963
All checks must be accompanied by a personalized donation form with the participant or team’s name and ID number. Company checks must include a contact name, email address, AND/OR mailing address to be processed. If the participant has not provided you with a donation form, you can print one from their personal fundraising page or team page. Just search for their name here.
If you are sending your donation via overnight or certified mail, please contact email@example.com prior to sending.
3. What is a matching gift?
A matching gift is a benefit offered by some employers to encourage charitable giving among their employees. Employer matching gift programs are a great way for your donors to double or, in some cases, triple their contribution.
4. How can I approach my donors about getting a matching gift?
Your donors may not be aware that their employer participates in a matching gift program. A great way to educate and encourage donors to utilize these programs is in your fundraising letter or email. Add a “P.S.” statement at the end of your letter such as, “Double the impact of your gift at no additional cost! Visit AIDSWalkAtlanta.org/matching to see if your gift can be matched through an employer matching gift program.”
5. How do I know if a company will offer a matching gift for a donation?
Visit AIDSWalkAtlanta.org/matching and search for the name of the company. To get better results, try entering just a part of the employer name. If your employer doesn’t appear on the list, ask them if they might be registered under a different official name. If still do not see the name of the company listed in our search tool, select the “new company” link on the Matching Gifts page and fill out the web form to request your company be added to the list. You will be contacted via email after we have confirmed whether the company does or does not match for AIDS Walk Atlanta. Alternately, ask your Human Resources or Community Relations Departments directly about their matching gifts process.
6. How does a donor apply for a matching gift?
To make a matching gift, first go to AIDSWalkAtlanta.org/matching and use our search tool to look up the name of a company. If the company is in our database, select it and you will see the specific instructions for that company’s matching gifts process. Different organizations have different requirements and procedures, so please look up each company individually.
To get better results, try entering just a part of the employer name. If your employer doesn’t appear on the list, ask them if they might be registered under a different official name. If still you do not see the name of the company listed in our search tool, select the “new company” link and fill out the web form to request your company be added to the list. You will be contacted via email after we have confirmed whether the company does or does not match for AIDS Walk Atlanta. Alternately, donors can also check with their Human Resources or Community Relations Departments to inquire about their internal process.
- Select the correct organization!
AHF-ATL AIDS WALK
PO BOX 935963
Atlanta, GA 31193-5963
If AHF-ATL AIDS WALK isn’t an option, choose AIDS HEALTHCARE FOUNDATION and then designate ATL AIDS WALK if given the option.
- Provide the participant’s name with the submission if possible
- Submit the request as soon as possible to allow ample processing time so that the participant can receive credit before the event
- Make copies of matching gift forms or forward the email confirmation to firstname.lastname@example.org for processing.
7. What happens if a mailed donation or matching gift comes in after the fundraising deadline?
The amount of the donation or matching gift will be added to the participant’s fundraising total. However, if the donation or match is for a beneficiary team, donations processed after the fundraising deadline will not qualify for AIDS Healthcare Foundation’s disbursement to that beneficiary. Remember, donations must be processed by the deadline, not postmarked. Please allow for 2 weeks for mailed donations to be posted to the participant or team fundraising account.
1. How do I register online?
Click on Register and follow the steps on your screen, where you will be guided through the registration process. Once your transaction is complete, you will receive a confirmation email from the website. This email will contain your username and password that you have selected. Online registration closes at 5:00 p.m. ET on Friday, September 23. You can still register at the event on Saturday morning, though. Please see one of the volunteers at the check-in tent when you arrive.
2. Is there a minimum amount I have to raise for the AIDS Walk Atlanta?
All participants must pay a registration fee. There is no fundraising requirement to participate, but we encourage all participants to set a goal of $100 or more. Check out the cool prizes we will reward you with for meeting certain milestones.
1. What should I do to raise funds for the AIDS Walk Atlanta?
Fundraising is easy. Just follow these simple steps:
- Personalize your Team and/or Individual Fundraising webpage, and then send out an email to friends, family members, and co-workers. Each email sent from your webpage contains a link to support you online with a credit card.
- Social Networking: Post on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter to ask your friends and other contacts for support. Write notes, share links that are news-worthy and related to the battle against HIV, and by all means, share the link to your fundraising page! (Be sure that you are mindful of each site’s anti-spam or solicitation policies.)
- Matching Gift Programs. Many corporate organizations have corporate giving programs that match the contributions their employees give to a charitable organization. By utilizing the matching gift programs of your employer or your family and friends’ employers, you can quickly double or triple your fundraising dollars. Visit our Matching Gifts page for more information.
- Host a fundraising party or event. Ask a local bar or restaurant to donate their space for a happy hour or fundraising dinner party. Charge a flat admission or suggest a donation. Plan a raffle, contest, or drink special to make the night exciting!
- Give your team members an incentive to sign up, raise money, and walk. Ask a local business to contribute to your team by providing a reward prize or two, and then create a contest within your team or group of friends to determine who will win it. Contest ideas include: most new team members enlisted, most fundraising email requests sent using the website, highest amount raised, or most original fundraising effort.
2. How else can I support AIDS Walk Atlanta?
There are many opportunities for you to get involved, from volunteering to becoming a corporate or in-kind sponsor. Even if you aren’t in a position to sponsor, you may have contacts who are. To find out about any of these options, or share sponsorship leads that you think might be helpful, please contact us at info@AIDSWalkAtlanta.org
Website and Online Fundraising
1. I forgot my username and/or password. How can I find out what they are?
The AIDS Walk Atlanta moved website platforms between 2019 and 2020, which means that your password (and possibly your username) has changed. Click here to change your password. Go to the Log In page and click Forgot Username if you need your username, or Forgot Password if you need your password.
Remember that your username and password are case-sensitive.
Still stuck? Please contact us at info@AIDSWalkAtlanta.org for assistance.
2. How can friends and family find my individual fundraising webpage to make a donation?
When you send an email from your AIDS Walk Atlanta Participant Center, the link to your individual fundraising webpage will automatically be included in the bottom of the email, as will the link to your team page (if applicable).
Also, on the home page of the website, friends and family can locate a participant by clicking on the “Donate” link from the home page, then searching for the participant who they wish to support. By typing in the name of the participant, they will then be able to select that participant from the results returned, which will lead them to that individual’s fundraising webpage.
3. Why is the "Donate" search not finding a participant that I know has registered?
While they are not case sensitive, you must type in the exact spelling of the first or last name of the person you are looking for. If you continue to have a problem locating a participant that you are sure has registered, please contact us at info@AIDSWalkAtlanta.org.
4. How can I see who has donated to me?
Log in by entering your username and password on the Participant Log-In page. Once you are redirected to your Participant Center, click “Progress” from the menu near the right side of the screen to view your donation history.
5. Why aren't the cash and check contributions I've raised showing up on my personal fundraising webpage?
While credit card donations made through the website will automatically appear on a walker’s personal web page, cash and check donations must be processed in the AIDS Walk Atlanta office. Please allow for 2 weeks for mailed donations to be posted to the participant or team fundraising account.
6. All of my donors are not showing up on the scroll mechanism. Why?
This has happened for one of three reasons:
1) As your donors make a contribution, they have the option of choosing whether or not they want to appear in the recognition scroll.
2) The donor scroll can also take as long as an hour to refresh during peak website traffic times.
3) Your donor may not have accurately completed the process. Confirm with them that they received a confirmation email from the website.
7. How do I send an email from the Participant Center?
Select “Email and Contacts” within the Participant Center. You can use the pre-written emails as a starting point, and then edit and send your message.
If you want to create your own message, select "Create Your Own Message" to start from a blank email.
If you are creating your own message, enter the recipient’s email address or select your recipients from your Address Book after importing your contacts.
Enter the subject and body of your email. Once you have composed an email, you can save it as a template for future emails. The saved message will then appear on the list of suggested messages.
8. How do I email my team members?
You can use the same process above to send an email to everyone on your team. During the “Set Recipients” step, select Group>Teammates.
9. How can I keep track of important dates and deadlines?
Please opt-in to the AIDS Walk Atlanta emails when you register. This is the fastest way to receive information as event news develops. We also encourage you to follow us on Facebook and Instagram for the latest announcements.
1. What is a team?
Forming a team for the AIDS Walk Atlanta is a great way to make a fun event even more amazing, as well as increase your fundraising impact. Teams can consist of as few as two people, and are comprised of walkers representing a variety of companies, schools, churches, or organizations in the Atlanta area. There are also many friend and family teams that participate, some of whom walk in memory of those they have lost. Teams can range in size from two to more than one hundred walkers. On-event rewards are given to the Largest Team and Top Fundraising Team.
2. What are a team leader's responsibilities?
Click here to review Team Captain FAQs.